Common illnesses in babies and children
What happens in the first few years of a child’s life can shape their whole life.
Babies, toddlers, and Children will get illnesses as their bodies develop immunity to infections and it is hard to stop them getting unwell.
Your local NHS runs the Healthier Together website, which has lots of information on common childhood illnesses.
You can visit Healthier Together if you are concerned your child is unwell (3 months and older), or if you are concerned your newborn/baby is unwell (under 3 months).
Healthier Together also has information on common childhood conditions such as:
- cows milk allergy
- skin conditions
- nappy rash
Where you can get support in York:
- your GP service is available for you to visit and talk to on the phone. Book appointments online using their surgery website or call them
- if it's an emergency telephone: 999. Also telephone: 999 when a person’s life may be in danger. Visit the NHS website on life threatening emergencies for more information
- if you need health advice or are not sure of the best service for you 111 can help:
- if you're able to get online you can get help for your symptoms online
- if you cannot go online, or if they advise you to, telephone: 111
- the Healthy Child Service (HCS) can provide information and resources on common childhood conditions such as colic, skin care, nappy rash and head lice. Telephone: 01904 555475 from 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday for support