Parent Champions are parent volunteers who give a few hours a week to talk to other parents about the local services which are available. Being parents, they can chat informally and share their own positive experiences of using local services. They meet parents in all sorts of places, wherever they feel their strengths are. Some examples include:
- Family Hubs
When it comes to finding out what is going on locally, parents and carers are often the best people to help. Their experience and local knowledge can help other parents and carers because they have done it themselves. They can help others get the confidence and support they need at the time they need it.
Parent Champions are not expected to know everything but will be able to signpost parents to the most appropriate organisations for further help and more detailed information about childcare and other local services.
Become a Parent Champion
If you live in York, enjoy chatting to other parents, grandparents and carers and have a good understanding of what's happening in your local community then you could be a Parent Champion.
We’re looking for parents and carers like you, who can volunteer a few hours a week. Parent Champions make a real difference for their local community and there are lots of ways you can do this, depending on what suits you. For example, you could:
- provide a Warm Welcome in Family Hubs
- help with arts and crafts sessions
- raise confidence and self-esteem in parents, this could be by helping a parent or carer to visit a local parent and toddler group
- encourage parents to access services
- help shape York’s family services
The role is flexible and can fit around school times and holidays. Some benefits include:
- a chance to use and develop your own skills
- access to initial and ongoing training
- an opportunity to meet new people
- learn new skills
- improve confidence and self esteem
Full training is provided with ongoing support from Family Navigators at City of York Council. If you're interested, contact Alison Cammiss by telephone: 07901813436 or email: [email protected].